My Lisbon

My Lisbon

Thursday 17 July 2014

The Great TREK - #3

July the 3rd  - Mpumalanga


As I am writing this post I am already in Cape Town for a couple of days visiting the family, as I have not been able to post anything, due to Internet problems (Snail speed) both in South Africa and Namibia.

Anyway, on this date we took a scenic drive to the historical mining town of Pilgrim’s rest to show my son how the people used to mine in the early 19th century.

As we reached the town close to lunch time, the little one was hungry so we had lunch at the legendary Royal Hotel which was proclaimed as a National Monument in 1986, Pilgrims Rest has succeeded in preserving the quaint atmosphere of yesteryear.The Royal Hotel offers guests a unique taste of late Victorian style accommodation.

At about 15h00 we took the scenic road back to our base camp (Lodge) as I made a promise to myself before this trip that I had to reach all destinations before dark, and as it is winter in the southern hemisphere, it gets dark by 17h30.

Internet speed…. Bits per second.

The General Dealer in Pilgirm's Rest

The Legendary Royal Hotel

Inside the Royal Hotel

Front door of a street shop in Pilgrim's Rest

Smooth Operator

Haven't seen this sign for at least 30 years


No comments:

Post a Comment

Street Photography