My Lisbon

My Lisbon

Friday 22 August 2014

The Great TREK - #4


July the 4th - Mpumalanga

FYI:- Finally arrived home after my 55 days in South Africa and Namibia. Could not update my blog due to permanent internet problems.

Anyway, from today I will be posting my adventure and experience of this "TREK" with my son, and the last 20 days with the women of my life, namely my wife and daughter.

This day we had an early breakfast as we wanted to go to two places that, in my view, are doing a marvellous job for the wild, i.e. we went first to:-

1) Hoedspruit Endangered species Centre (HESC). The centre is involved in breeding of endangered, Vulnerable or rare animal species, they also release and establish of captive-bred cheetahs to the wild. This is a centre well worth your visit.

We saw wildogs, King Cheetah, and also the world famous baby rhinoceros Gertjie (Little-G), that was saved from poachers of which killed it’s mom for its horn). This is a massive problem in Africa as the Horn is more valuable than gold (R40.000/kg).

2) After this visit we went to Mhoholoholo, Rehabilitation centre (The Moholoholo Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre was established in 1991. A businessman from Pretoria in South Africa, Mr Strijdom, owns the farm on which the Centre is situated, and he in turn asked Brian Jones to establish and run the rehabilitation centre for him. Brian already had a Crowned Eagle in his possession and his reputation for the work he did with wild animals had spread rapidly. Brian Jones has been helping and caring for injured and orphaned animals from the age of four and thus he brought a great deal of knowledge and experience to the establishment of this rehabilitation centre - from their site).


The Wild dog

Gertjie - Little-G



The wild Restaurant

From the Shangana Cultural Village close to Hazyview



No comments:

Post a Comment

Street Photography