My Lisbon

My Lisbon

Saturday 14 March 2020

1 Day in Istanbul


Getting to know Istanbul


I have been to Istanbul (En transit) three times before, but all in a rush with a maximum of three hours to visit.

This time I decided to sleep over and discover more of this beautiful city Istanbul.

Reserved a cute hotel close to the world-famous Blue Mosque and planned my stay accordingly.

I arrived at 06h30 from Johannesburg (Original flight from Maputo, Mozambique), Passed by PAssport Control and went straight to the baggage hold to leave my two luggage bags with them (paid 160 TRY - Turkish Lira for the 24 hour hold).

Took my hand luggage and my photography backpack paid 16 TRY for the shuttle bus and after 55 minutes arrived at the Sultan Ahmed Square.
Walked about 300 metres and was at the hotel to check-in. Very friendly people at the hotel reception. Also, offered me breakfast (as it was about 08h30).

Went to the room, freshened up and prepared for the day to discover the city of Istanbul.

The plan was to start at the  Basilica Cistern and then go straight to the Grand Bazaar

The Grand Bazaar was a very positive surprise especially at this hour of the day (early). Really enjoyed and will definitely come back for another photo session.

After the Grand Bazaar, went to the Spice Bazaar, which did not have the same impact as the Grand Bazaar. Interesting but maybe not a place for a second visit.

The next place was definitely the world-famous Hafiz Mustafa Cafe. Built-in 1864, so there is clearly culture and history at this cafe.

After some fabulous "patisserie" and coffee started my longest walk (4km) to the quaint Jewish quarter called Balat. It was well worth my walk where in between there are lots of things and places to photograph. Was there for about two hours with lots of photos. Had a quick lunch at one of the local small restaurants. Balat, definitely worthwhile for a second visit.

After Balat, decided to walk to the Galata Bridge, (Another long walk) with little to photograph so was getting a bit tired already.
At the Galata Bridge, I stayed for a short while as there were "Millions" of tourists trying to go up, photograph the twoer from ALL angles. 

As I was getting tired already, I decided to walk back to Sultan Ahmed square and go to the hotel.

The walk back was very interesting indeed as there are beautiful things, monuments, places and people to photograph.

Istanbul, So much to see, so little time.

Have to keep on coming en route home (Lisbon) from Mozambique.

In short - Friendly local People, Exquisite cuisine, divine coffee, rich history. 

Please enjoy the photos


























































































No comments:

Post a Comment

Street Photography